New UK Customs regulations; please read if moving or shipping to the UK.

Moving Overseas? here are some packing tips
November 2, 2017
Alicia is a Rock Star! Shes not too shabby at international shipping either!
November 6, 2017

United Kingdom High Resolution Easy Concept

Moving or shipping things to UK? See the latest customs regulations here.

Its easy moving to the UK with UPakWeShip.

The UK Government has recently updated the transfer of residence rules known as ToR as well as duty free relief on certain items.
If you are choosing to move to the UK and want to bring your things with you, you will be entitled to duty and tax-free entry for your items as long as you have lived outside of Europe for the last

12 months and all your items are your belongings and are over 6 months old. You can find out more information about completing your ToR application here.
If you are selling a holiday home and shipping items to the UK then you are going to have to pay duties and taxes on the value of the items plus the cost of shipping and insuring them. You do not need to complete the ToR but you will have to provide UPakWeShip with a valued packing list. (Obviously keep valuations low like you were selling the items at a yard sale)
If you are shipping inherited goods then you need to complete the government inheritance form (C1421) and if all paperwork is submitted, you should not be paying duties and taxes.
If you are a student coming to the UK to study and are shipping some items to the UK then you will not have to pay duty or taxes if you supple us with a copy of the school’s letter of acceptance to us. You do not need to complete the ToR.
If you are sending wedding presents, they can enter the UK duty and tax-free as long as you provide us with a copy of the marriage certificate and you ship them within 4 months of the wedding.
If you are shipping office items such as desks and furniture then you will need to provide UPakWeShip with a valued list of the items and you will be charged vat currently 20%. You can list office files at a nominal value and they are duty and tax-free but we still need to enter a value for customs.
If you are purchasing new items of furniture overseas and would like UPakWeShip to ship it to the UK, you will need the original invoice from the store that you bought it from and customs will charge you duties and taxes.
Please note all items that are deemed to be charged duties and taxes by customs should be based on the value of the items plus the cost of shipping and the cost of the insurance policy of the international move.

Moving Overseas: The Ultimate Guide By Mark Nash  If you need further help or explanation, feel free to post a question on “ask the moving doctor” on UPakWeShip’s blog or for more information about international moving, read my free book about moving overseas and the joys of international shipping of household goods and personal effects. …

Of course if you need the best international moving rates to the UK, look at our international moving cost calculator where you can see online all our all inclusive prices for moving to England or anywhere else in the UK or Europe.


The Moving Doctor
The Moving Doctor
"The Moving Doctor", Mark Nash has been in the moving business for over 33 years and currently sits on the board of the International Shippers Association and the Commercial Affairs committee at the International Association of Movers (IAM).

Comments are closed.

Skip to content