Moving Overseas?
International Moving
May 20, 2013
Great International Moving Review
May 24, 2013

UPakWeShipMoving to the USA

If you are planning on moving to the USA, UPakWeShip has the expertise and the knowledge to move you across the pond, as they say from Europe or further afield like Australia and New Zealand.
Advice About Moving to and Living in the USA
• To work in the USA, you will require a visa. You will have to apply for your visa at the American embassy in your origin Country. If you are living and working in the USA without a visa, you are considered an “illegal alien” and could be deported and not allowed back wether you are a little green alien or not!
• Living costs will greatly depend on the area you are moving to. If you are moving to the big cities like New York, Los Angeles, or Chicago, prepare for high costs. Moving into smaller towns in the Mid West or South can be much cheaper.
• The USA health care system outspends most of the nations in the world! The country’s life expectancy has dropped in the last decades and there is no universal public health care coverage. However, if you can afford to pay for private health insurance, or your employer pays for you, you will get a high-quality service.
• Before moving to the USA with your children, you will also have to consider education options. In most states, there are both public and private schools, and a good university degree may require substantial financial investment.
• The limited availability of visas and green cards restricts employment opportunities for expats moving to the USA. Explore your options, and the situation in your profession before seriously thinking about moving to the USA.

Importing Personal Effects to the USA
Household goods and personal effects can be imported duty free, provided they have been owned for at least a year before arriving in the USA. Most containers arriving in the USA will be subject to examination by US customs. You must ensure you have the appropriate visa for entry into the USA. To import your household goods, we will provide you with the correct customs form, that must be completed prior to the goods leaving the UK.
Prohibitions and Restrictions
In general it is in your interest not to import the following items:
• Firearms & ammunition
• Plants & plant material
• Foodstuffs, perishables or otherwise
• Narcotics and dangerous goods
• Inflammable goods & substances
• Alcohol & Tobacco
Moving Motor Vehicles to the USA
Due to strict emission standards, only vehicles that have been manufactured in the USA can be shipped with your household goods.
For more info go to

The Moving Doctor
The Moving Doctor
"The Moving Doctor", Mark Nash has been in the moving business for over 33 years and currently sits on the board of the International Shippers Association and the Commercial Affairs committee at the International Association of Movers (IAM).

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


  1. Ron says:

    We are planning to return to New York from Madrid. We’ll probably have 15-20 boxes to ship containing household items. Can you please provide quote?


    • The Moving Doctor says:

      Hello Ron, we certainly can, our EU office will be emailing you some prices and service options, cheers The Moving Doctor.

  2. Jonathan Teoh says:


    I’m hoping to move some personal belongings which are mostly clothes from Perth, Australia to Boston, USA. I am hoping for a door to door service. Could you please help with a quote?


  3. Sabrina Flowers says:

    Hello! I am moving back to the US next spring and would like to take approx. 30 boxes of personal goods and a small piano. Can you give me a ball-parks on the price and options.


    • The Moving Doctor says:

      Hello Sabrina, we can do that probably but depends where you are in the world I guess. I will get the office to email you to find out and hopefully we can help, cheers The Moving Doc

  4. Michelle says:

    Hi! This is just a rough estimate, but I’m planning to ship around 48 boxes weighing approximately 480 kgs. It contains mostly books, dvds, cds, clothes, documents and decorative items. All personal stuff. We would likely need a shared container (or if you have a crate, that might work too). I would like to get a quote for how much it would cost to ship door to door (we live in Tonnay Charente 17430 France), as well as how much it would cost if we dropped the boxes off at a terminal and then had them delivered to a storage unit in Los Angeles, California.

    Aside from the quote estimate, I would like to know where your nearest terminal in France would be, and whether you offer insurance?

    Thanks in advance for your help.

    Best regards,

    • The Moving Doctor says:

      Hello Michelle, I can get Chris to work out some numbers and options for you. He will be in touch by email. ps yes we offer insurance, cheers The Moving Doc

  5. Jennifer Marquez says:

    Hello, we are living in Spain (Madrid) and returning to live in USA in December. We are looking to ship perhaps 10-20 boxes of personal effects to California. We are looking for a general quote and any additional relevant info.

    Thank you!

    • The Moving Doctor says:

      Hello Jennifer, we can work out some prices and options for you, Chris will be in touch, cheers The Moving Doc

Skip to content