Angela recently sent us this review for her move from the USA to Australia. Well done UPakWeShip team USA.
We have been thinking about shipping some household effects from storage in the US to our home in Australia for several years, and we never knew that this easy and affordable option existed. We had a great experience using UPakWeShip, and would definitely use again or recommend to others.
UPakWeShip makes it really easy to organize DIY packing and shipping internationally. Their website has lots of information that lays out the process and tells you what you can expect. We especially appreciated the following aspects:
– We used door-to-door delivery of one U-Crate 100 and one U-Crate 50. I liked that the kit for the crates arrives, and you can take your time to fill the crate at your own rate, scheduling pickup about a week ahead. It was a little tricky to estimate how much we had, but it worked out perfectly. We ordered a little more space than we thought we needed, and it ended up being just right.
– A few days after our crates were picked up in our home city, we got email confirmation that our shipment had arrived at UPakWeShip’s Charleston terminal. They then advised when space was reserved on a ship, and then again when the items were expected to depart the port. At that time they also provided an expected landing date in Australia.
– About 10 days after the ship departed, we received notice from the moving company affiliate on the Australian end (Conroys), who asked us to confirm delivery instructions.
– We got a sense for time estimates from other customer reviews and knew it would be ~3 months in transit. We received delivery in Australia exactly 11 weeks from our pickup date in the US (East Coast).
– From the beginning, communication was excellent, receiving prompt and informative emails about each step in the process, from signing a contract, paying a deposit, organizing forms for customs and insurance, and awaiting pickup.
– The movers/trucks we dealt with at both ends were courteous, prompt, and professional.
– The movers on the Australian end (Conroys) were also very good communicators, sending regular updates via text links to their website about that status of our shipment as it moved through customs and quarantine. They were prompt and efficient in delivering the boxes to our house in Sydney.
Moving cherished belongings is stressful, particularly with a long container ship’s journey. It was great to have access to the videos and guides on UPakWeShip’s website, and lots of informative reviews from other customers.
For us the only source of concern was that the U-Crate 100 did not fit in the garage where we were staging the packing process (too tall to allow for clearance for pallet jack removal), and so we had to pack in the driveway. There was a torrential rain just as we finished pulling the plastic tarp over the finished crate, and while the plastic sheeting did a good job of protecting the cardboard crate, it left an inch or so exposed at the bottom, and I was worried that the crate might absorb water at the base. It seems like everything came through OK, though, and no signs of dampness.
I was also a little worried about what would happen in customs, knowing how strict Australia is with quarantine. I did my best to capture the contents of every box, and tried to pack what might be flagged items (wood) together. Everything came through fine. When the delivery arrived in Sydney, the truck driver had a copy of the detailed customs list I had prepared.
Everything went smoothly from beginning to end, no surprises, and great communication throughout. Most importantly, everything arrived in perfect condition. A++ Would use again!