1. Give the employee a “know before you go” package offering all kinds of information about the destination country. Basics should include information on voltage, TV type, internet and cell phones, is the local water safe to drink, what to take, what not to take, what to expect, customs information for shipping, cultural differences,
2. Ask a staff member at the destination office to “sponsor” the relocating employee. These sponsors can provide tips and assistance with many aspects of the relocation such as housing, and introductions to doctors, dentists, schools, buying a car, obtaining a driving and a variety of other services as well as lend much needed moral support to an area newcomer.
3. Offering a lump sum relocation package should not mean little corporate support. You can still offer guidance and provide suppliers who can provide a number of services at reasonable cost.
4. Does you corporation have discounts with hotels, airlines and car hire companies that can be passed on to your transferring employee.
5. If you have a relationship with a relocation management company, ask if they have any options for an employee transferring overseas on a lump sum relocation package.
6. Make sure new transferring employees get some time off to find accommodation, look at schools, register at the doctors, obtain a driving license etc.
7. Ask destination office to contact local real estate companies to send transferring employees real estate information so that employee has an idea of costs, budgets and what areas to be looking at when they arrive. Also find out if rentals are normally furnished or not.
8. Ask the local Manager to involve their spouse in some activities who has arrived in a foreign country probably not knowing anyone, not knowing their way around. Take them shopping, a round of golf, or dinner offering local specialties.
9. Point out the advantages of either using a self-pack or full service international mover. Help them check reviews and make sure the international mover is licensed. If the employee wants to take everything they own, then it is possible that a lot of the relocation package will be used up to pay the International Mover. A self-packing container option though could be at least $3,000 cheaper. If they are wanting to just take personal items, UPakWeShip’s, U Crate 100 shipping crate is a great international shipping solution as it’s a lump sum price for whatever you can fit in the shipping container. International moving quotes should be all inclusive.
10. Make sure the family, couple, or if bachelor status may be, accompany them on a fun day away from work. Show them the sights, be tourists for a day, take them on a double decker bus tour, a tram or boat ride. Keep the fun and interest alive and balanced with work.